Bikepacking Basics Clinic & Overnighter with Bikes or Death out of Texas
April 26 - April 28$120
Join Bikes or Death and Patrick Farnsworth for their 2nd annual Bikepacking Basics Group Ride & Clinic!
Taking the guess work out of bikepacking and helping you get on your bike and into the outdoors.
This year things are getting mixed up! The event is now 3 days long, there are 2 routes to choose from, and they’re based in East Texas: home of the East Texas Showdown! This event will take place on two new routes developed by Patrick Farnsworth of Bikes or Death. These routes include some of the same roads featured on the Sam Houston Restaurant Tour and the East Texas Showdown, and have been designed with the beginner bikepacker in mind. Each route will be led by either Patrick Farnsworth or Ariel Marlowe AND there will be a sag (support vehicle) following all riders just in case someone needs assistance.
This year the format will be a little different. The Bikepacking Clinic will be held on Friday evening and then on Saturday & Sunday the group will go on a bikepacking trip to put into practice what was just learned.
Ready for a good time? If so, see below for the deets….
About the Ride
- The routes have been designed with safety as the number one priority. However, bikepacking comes with some inherent risk. The course is on public roads and the organizers cannot control traffic, wildlife, weather, dogs or people.
- The roads are about 90% gravel. There are some rough sections of gravel and some sand, but everything should be rideable. Recommended minimum tire width of 38c, add more volume for comfort and traction in sand
- The pace of the route will be slow with mandatory stopping points for all riders, giving us the opportunity to all regroup. This is a no drop ride and a member of the BoD staff will run sweeper to make sure no one is left behind.
What we Provide
- Even If you don’t have all the bikepacking bags, that’s no problem! There will be a sag vehicle to help carry your gear to camp. Space will be limited and everyone is encouraged to carry as much of their own gear as possible, but there will be support you if you run out of room.
- There will be a mechanic on the ride to address any mechanicals along the ride
- If they can’t fix your bike, the sag vehicle will be equipped with a rack to haul you and your bike to camp. They got you!
- Bikepacking Basics Clinic – topics to be determined by surveying all participants
- Professional photos of the event will be available to purchase
- Camping is Free at both the Bullet Grill House on Friday night and Big Woods Hunter camp on Saturday night
- Free Beer on Saturday evening
- Free breakfast and coffee on Sunday morning
- A chance to be the first to ride a brand-new Central Texas Route created by Patrick Farnsworth. After this trip, we will be submitting it to Bikepacking.com!
- Friday Night: Primitive* camping behind the Bullet Grill is free and available to all riders. Camping there is not required. Plenty of room for tent camping, some trees for hammock camping, but trees coverage/hammock spots are a bit sparse.
Saturday Night: Primitive* camping at Big Woods hunter camp. There is plenty of flat ground for tent camping and plenty of trees for hammock camping.
*Primitive means no water, electricity, or restrooms