Announcing the Community Routes Project!
Bikepacking Roots has created the Community Routes Project (CRoP) to showcase outstanding routes created and stewarded by bikepackers specifically for the enjoyment of the broader bikepacking community. These aren’t routes that the steward linked together and rode once, but rather they’re routes that have been developed, refined, and vetted with the goal of creating the most exceptional and rewarding experience possible for others. CRoP route stewards update the routes and resources regularly, and many stewards live near their route(s) and are champions for bikepacking in their communities.
We have created this project in response to consistent requests from our community to create off-pavement routes that will allow folks to fit bikepacking into their normal lifestyles, whatever that may look like. This means shorter routes and more geographic diversity of routes around the country. We recognize with this first release of routes, we are far from achieving these goals, but through our submission process and connecting with route creators, stewards and non-profit organizations around the county we plan to strive toward this vision. We look forward to building a collection of shorter routes, routes from regions with fewer bikepacking opportunities, beginner-friendly routes, routes accessible via public transportation, and loops rather than more logistically complicated point-to-point routes.
We will open the process for route submissions in September 2023.
But for now, we are thrilled to introduce you to our first collection of 16 Community Routes, from 8 amazing route creators and stewards:
- Flint Hills Traverse (Kansas/Oklahoma) – Aaron Apel
- TransVirginia Bike Route (Virginia) – David Landis
- Great Rift Dirt Tour (Idaho) – Aaron Couch
- Babad Do’ag Backroads (Arizona) – Spencer Harding
- Capes of the Canyon – South Rim (Arizona) – Forrest Radarian
- Capes of the Canyon – North Rim (Arizona) – Forrest Radarian
- The Monumental Loop (New Mexico) – Matt Mason
- Rollin’ and Tumblin’ (New Mexico) – Matt Mason
- Queen’s Ransom (Arizona) – John Schilling
- Toiyabe Crest Trail Loop (Nevada) – Kurt Refsnider
- New Mexico’s Western Highlands Loop (New Mexico) – Kurt Refsnider
- A Chihuahuan Desert Loop (Arizona/New Mexico) – Kurt Refsnider
- Kofa National Wildlife Refuge Bikepacking Tour (Arizona) – Kurt Refsnider
- Grand Staircase-Escalante Nat’l Monument High Plateaus Loop (Utah) – Kurt Refsnider
- Grand Loop (Utah/Colorado) – Kurt Refsnider
- Alpine Trail #7 (Montana) – Kurt Refsnider