The 2022 application period has now closed.
Check back here to meet the grant recipients,
and for the 2023 grant cycle.
Bikepacking Roots will be accepting applications for the 2022 BIPOC Bike Adventure Program from between April 14th and May 15th.
The BIPOC Bike Adventure Program is an effort to reduce the barriers to bike adventure by providing grants and mentorship to BIPOC bike adventurers.
We recognize that this is a small step in the face of massive systemic racism and entrenched inequality, but we believe that bicycles and the outdoors are for all, and that everyone should have access to the freedom, joy and self-actualization they engender.
We also know that there are many barriers to multi-day self-supported adventures to be dismantled before beginning to bikepack, such as finances, equipment, confidence, experience, camping skills, and access to routes. So we’re not creating many constraints.
The program will support BIPOC cyclists’ fun and empowering bike adventures. We’ll leave it up to applicants to define what adventure is for themselves.
The BIPOC Bike Adventure Program:
- Is for BIPOC people of any gender identity, age, class, body size, ability or experience level, who are atleast 18 years old and live in the US.
- Allows applicants to define bicycle-based adventures for themselves.
- Includes awards of $500 to $3,000, gear, and mentoring.
- Funds can be used for gear, travel, clinics, events, or anything else that helps build recipients’ experience, skills, & confidence.
- Is led by BIPOC adventure cyclists.